Friday, August 1, 2008

365 Days

After I woke up this morning it didn't take me long to realize what day it was. August 1, 2008. Exactly 1 year ago today I moved back to Kentucky from Florida with the intention of opening Jessica Edwards Photography.

Although at times the process seems like it has been slow going, in reality, the business has taken off! The first 2 weeks of August 2007 I enjoyed being unemployeed. :) I did NOTHING and loved every second of it! By the time the third week rolled around, I was really itching to get my photography business started.

I worked for a portrait studio in Louisville, KY and Jacksonville, FL for a year and a half, and in that time, I had 1000+ photo sessions under my belt. Due to copyright laws, I had to leave all those pictures behind and start over. Because of this, the only sample pictures I could legally show were ones that I had taken in photography school from 2003 to 2005. My style (and skill) had changed quite a bit since then, so I had to start from scratch building a new portfolio of work.

I've said before that my favorite subjects to shoot are high school seniors, and that's who I would love to have as the bulk of my clientele. (Don't worry kids & families, I love ya'll too, but I can only pick one favorite!) :)

I decided that if I wanted to shoot high school seniors, I had to have sample high school senior portraits to show. So, I called up a cousin of mine, Brooke, who was a junior at that time and I asked her if she would model for me. We shot for 2 hours, 2 days in a row because I had so many ideas that I wanted to try. I spent the next 4,287 days sorting and retouching the 19,8263 pictures that we took. (Ok, so maybe I exaggerated just a bit, but that's what it seemed like at the time!) I picked my favorite 10 images or so and had business cards made. I kept half and gave the other half to Brooke and her mother, Gina.

That's it. That's how it started. It took no time before calls started coming in scheduling appointments. I stayed booked the whole fall season! I owe a huge "thank you" to Brooke, Gina, & Tyler! Thanks guys!

Just for fun, I'm going to post a few of those shots from my first photo shoot as Jessica Edwards Photography.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

**Oh, and you can view Brooke's Senior Book 2 blog posts below**

No comments: