Saturday, September 20, 2008

HCHS photography class

On Friday, I had the opportunity to be a guest speaker at the local high school's photography class. It is being taught by Carlton Hughes of Southeast Community College and Chris Jones of the Harlan Daily Enterprise. It's a dual credit class, which means that the students get high school and college credit for the course.

It was the first time that I got to see the inside of the new high school, and let me tell you, I was impressed! Everything looked really nice. I'll have to admit, I'm very jealous! I would have loved the opportunity to go to a school like that and have been exposed to all of the electives that are offered including photography, interior design, and forensics.

We moved next door into a classroom that has a Smart Board, which is an interactive white board. It has a touch-sensitive display and connects a computer and digital projector so you can display images. Several of the classrooms in this school have this technology.

Carlton Hughes introduced me and I began the session with a slideshow of my favorite class of 2009 senior images. After that I talked a little about how I got to where I am in the photography industry. I also brought along the camera that I use as well as examples a few products that are offered at the studio like photo jewelry, photo bags, custom hard cover books, and gallery wrapped canvas prints. The students and teachers had some great questions for me. Although I was going on only 3 hours of sleep, I think it went really well. :) I had a lot of fun sharing information about my career and business. I had intended on taking a few pictures for my blog readers, but time wasn't on our side (aka I talk too much).

If things go as planned, it may not be my last time talking with the class. We're working out the details of a field trip to the studio. Yay!

1 comment:

God's Prof said...

We really enjoyed your visit, and the students would love to visit your studio. Maybe we can work something out soon. Your work is so impressive--keep up the good work!