Saturday, June 6, 2009

Memorial Weekend Visit to Kentucky

Over Memorial weekend, Matt, Hayley and I drove to Kentucky to shoot some sessions and visit family. Check out Rebecca's blog to see her 2009 senior portraits. Keep an eye out for Blane's 2010 senior portraits and the Compton family portraits coming soon!

In the mean time, here are some of the snapshots we took over the weekend.

We brought along our cat, who made his bed on Matt's lap a large part of the time
Photobucket
even when he was driving
Photobucket

Our first full day there, we got pizza from my cousin's new business, The Black Mountain Pizza Company (which was awesome!) and took it to the Kingdom Come State Park and had a picnic. After we ate, the girls and Matt went rock climbing and went on a short hike.

*For the photographers who are reading this, these next few images were taken with a 45mm 2.8 tilt shift lens which I rented to try out. I love tilt shift, but I think I prefer the 90mm tilt shift.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

As we left, we drove past the lake at the park and noticed that the paddle boat were open. I hadn't done that since I was a kid, so I was excited about taking Matt, Hayley and my niece, Hannah on the boats!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
The girls were afraid of falling in the lake, so they looked to each other for comfort
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Our view from the boat
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
The girls played with my back-up camera, the Canon 20D, in the back seat of the car. A couple of Hannah's pictures...
Photobucket
Photobucket
And Hayley's picture
Photobucket

The next day, Matt, Hannah, Hayley, my cousin JP, his 2 kids, and my cousin Nathan, his wife and 3 kids went to the park. I don't know who had more fun...the kids or the grown-ups!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photo courtesy of JP's 5 year old daughter, in the white dress.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Hannah, the drama queen
Photobucket

JP, the drama queen
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

When you gotta go...you gotta go!
Photobucket

When you gotta get attention...you climb on the zip line!
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Be very very quiet...I'm hunting 300 pound meat heads
Photobucket
Photobucket

The kids scarfed down the beef jerky like they hadn't been fed in days
Photobucket

Photo courtesy of one of the kids...can't remember which, but they did a good job!
Photobucket

Of course, cousin JP couldn't resist perpetuating the Kentucky "kissing cousins" stereotype
Photobucket

Each time we get together, we try to take a picture like we used to as kids...in birth order, oldest to youngest
Photobucket

As we left the park, Hannah jumped in the front seat and asked me to let her drive the Mustang.
Photobucket

That afternoon, we went to an old, abandoned parking lot and the girls took turns sitting on my lap and steering. They did surprisingly well!
Photobucket

As Hayley was driving, Hannah decided to practice her photography skill.
Photobucket

We had lots of fun in Kentucky! I'm really excited to go back for my 10 year high school reunion in August.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

So I loved reading your blog and it looks like you had a lot of fun! But I do have a question...does Canon have a new lens that I don't know about?

""I love tilt shit but I think I prefer the 90mm tilt shift"".

;-)

Siri Salonen said...

I love the picture of Matt followed by the one of your feet in cute little flats...at first I thought those were Matt's feet...did the ol' double take.LOL

Jessica Edwards Photography said...

Tammy, the tilt shift isn't really new, but it's not that commonly used either.